Friday, March 29, 2013

"Mother, she tats!"

So I find myself in Hobby Lobby, scrutinizing and deciding, trying to color-match this size 20 thread in Seagreen to a pendent. Of course, I have little color coordination skills, so I ask a lady nearby. She told me they match and wanted to know I plan to crochet. I said no, I tat. Then I hear a resounding "Mother! She tats!!" She points to a woman near the end of the aisle. They were so excited to find someone who tats, because the grandmother tatted. Apparently they have a shadow box with an antique metal shuttle and some edgings she was notorious for making. So I shared with them pictures of my tatting. They wanted to know how I learned. Well, they were so surprised to hear that I taught myself but I don't know anyone who tats! I have a picture of a snowflake in progress, sitting next to the X-Box controller. They told me how proud of myself I should be--- and in fact I am! I wish I could teach myself other, more useful skills though!
It was a neat experience :)

No comments:

Post a Comment